Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Joy of Coffee and Big Idea 76 is Predestination

Nice Coffee

Not appearing at Caffe Nero
I enjoy coffee and as well as taking the occasional cup at Caffé Nero (see why Lil Kim is pictured!) I make a mug at home using a Bodum cafetiere. The paraphernalia and ritual making of the drink is great I time the brew and add frothed milk as well as warming the cup.
All the 'gear'
The challenge at the moment is finding a blend that I really enjoy - I buy coffee locally at Whittards and they grind the beans freshly to a suitable powder at the moment I'm on a breakfast coffee but I think there's something better out there and I won't rest 'til I find it (any ideas?)
(Coffee made this way is said to be very healthy too.)

 Idea 76 is Predestination

Crofton explains a bit about Predestination, seems that those who will reach 'heaven' have been selected by God and it is predestined.
John Calvin (1509-64) was the guy who set out this vision - the video below gives some history on Calvin which if true would discredit him totally (I don't know how true this interpretation on his life  is) - strangely Calvinism is going strong but some modern supporters do not fully endorse the worst excesses his opponents lay at Calvin's (metaphorical) door.

Calvinism is an idea that can be a 'challenging' belief -  Calvin's words, were  "All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of these ends, we say that he has been predestinated to life or to death.
As you can  see this statement is challenging for those who believe in 'Free Will' and also will present some issues with ideas around redemption.
The counter view to Calvinism is Arminianism (after Jacob Arminius (1560-1609).  which arose after Calvin it  is an affirmation of the freedom of the human.