Friday, March 15, 2013

This week on the allotment and Idea 77 is science

This week on the allotment


Pallet Wagon 


£1 Raspberry Cane
Broad beans growing nicely 















Although weather today in London is not so good yesterday was lovely and I managed to plant out a couple of broad bean plants (replacing those that didn't survive January/February) and two £1 shop  raspberry canes (Rubus idaeus).
 I have also continued the work to repair cold frame - I've now spent a lot of time on this as well as more money than it cost in the first place but anticipate using it for hardening of plants and possible mushroom growing.
A 'hot' cold frame.
Today when I popped out to get the newspapers I spotted a stray Pallet, I am unable to resist these  as they're useful for compost piles and other things (look here)  so I stuck it in the back of the car later on.

New cover on 'Greenhouse'
Earlier in the week we had a freezing cold day (and night) and it was so windy that my polythene greenhouse was destroyed (the cover anyway) I have now replaced this but at the back of my mind is the thought of getting something more substantial - really be nice to have something with some heat as well as I could  then try growing my own tea and coffee along with other more 'tropical things'). Oh yes and I've got a new blend of coffee to try, it's called Ethiopian Yirgacheffe let's face it it's got a great name.

And big Idea 77 is Science (Big Science)


The last week or so has been a bit of struggle for me as  quite a bit of the religion theme has flummoxed me - although I'm sticking with the meditation trial which I have some hopes of.
Crofton's book has now moved on to a more factual area and this is perhaps something I'm more comfortable with.

So here goes..
Science is defined as The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
Science is concerned with finding explanations an laws to throw light on the physical universe

It is difficult to overstate the benefits to mankind that have been experienced in the last 200 years or so as a result of scientific breakthroughs

Newton and Einstein are big names in Science as they thought of laws and then tested them and found they were reliable ways of predicting physical behaviour.

Science tends to use induction (you might recall that there are two types of ways of deriving knowledge induction and deduction).