Thursday, December 19, 2013

Art continues in self referential mode, Robert Kett and finding Joe Meek

The Gallery 2 show
I've noticed over a few of the visits I've made what seems to me to be a bit of a trend around an examination of exhibitions, while I recognise the significance of curating as part of the process of display I wonder if it points towards something of a lack of confidence or a vacuity of exciting ideas.
Today I was at the Whitechapel Gallery and and the Kadia Atter showing in Gallery 2 reminded me of both Ealing's Wundercamera and the Meschac Gaba shown at the Tate Modern this summer.
I liked the display which referenced the fact that the gallery was formerly a Library and looking at it I did want to start browsing the eclectic volumes shelved around a central podium- attached to which were a series of steps which led to a somewhat disappointing reflective surface (As I looked at this I did note that I was looking particularly old).

Robert Kett

In other galleries there was a selection of works including a varied bunch of paintings, photo's and artifacts reflecting a rebellious streak in the East of England - here I was strongly attracted to the Story of Robert Kett - who championed the cause of common land - Kett was a Norfolk landowner who in 1549 at the age of 57 took common cause with peasants and helped them in their attempts to advance (what seems to me) their legitimate demands.



Meek did not inherit the earth 
Joe's former studio is a walk from the station


I've just started reading a biography of one of England's somewhat neglected Pop pioneers, Joe Meek, the book is called  The Legendary Joe Meek- The Telstar Man and so far it is holding my attention - as part of my research I've found that Joe completed most of his legendary recordings in Holloway Road.
 The fruit shop at the ground floor
The building now has a fruit shop at the ground floor level but there's a plaque to Joe on the building.
Some facts about Joe, he turned down The Beatles (to record not as he listened to them  on his radio) and worked with Johnny Leyton (Johnny remember me) and of course he'll (probably) always be remembered himself for Telstar .







No comments: