Tuesday, February 18, 2014

BBC drama about Further Education classes to come

View to St. Paul's today
After the philosophy class at CityLit today (the challenging Kant) I went along to a drop in session where a couple of people from BBC TV drama were gathering reflections from students on what courses had done for them.
The BBC people one who was called Matt (a writer) were interested in our experiences and what came out of the discussion was how much the opportunity was valued by those who went along - I think a commercial organisation getting such positive feedback would be very content.
One of the points I made was that although there was not any testing or judging ahead of the courses this did not appear to be a problem - courses are not dumbed down and even without exams people were achieving. Other attendees spoke of the high standard of teaching and the positive 'vibe' that was in residence.
It was illuminating for me to hear people from varied backgrounds and on a mixture of courses saying how they valued the chance to widen their knowledge.
Those who I saw at the BBC/CityLit session included students of dance, performing (including comedy), ceramics and language all felt fulfilled and enriched by their participation in adult learning - what a shame so many people do not have the same chances.
I will keep an eye out for the drama (which I think will be quite some time away).
[It was great to get my camera back from CityLit security today too- thanks to them]

No comments: