Sunday, March 22, 2015

Gimme Shelter - Ealing's Philosophy class- The penultimate session review and preparation for last week

From an Open Culture  Twitter posting I followed a link and  I listened to a short item about 'Gimme Shelter' the late 60's Rolling Stones song, [I find Open Culture a great resource]
Gimme nuts 

 When I was growing up there was a fairly clear demarcation between fans of  The Stones and The Beatles, I generally favoured the latter but As (T)Years Go By it's become fairly apparent that you can enjoy both beat combo's contribution to the popular musical lexicon.

 The Stones had a particularly creative patch towards the end of the 60's which included 'Sympathy for the Devil' and Gimme Shelter - seeing this background revealed I found strangely emotional ( resuce).

Merry Clayton's lungs and vocal chords had one hell of an outing on this song - would that modern tracks could capture the spirit the way this seems to .

Philosophy

Review

This Thursday was the last but one of the Philosophy class I've been taking in Ealing at the Council offices and it was (for me) another good one.

Included in the session were  3 film excerpts a revisit of the Charlie Chaplin City Lights - this time some slapstick with Chaplin and his (male) companion the worst for drink at a dinner-dance  we also looked at Groundhog Day, a fine way to illustrate eternal recurrence [at the foot of this post see the rather odd insight on the film and Nietzsche].

The final film excerpt we saw was from a continental film called I think 'Tickets' looked like a great film and the part we saw certainly miss-footed me, as a dispute over a phone which a middle aged women disputed with a fellow passenger caused a drama resolved by a detached authority figure -if you know the film please send me a link as I'd like to see it.)

Prepare

The Last session undoubtedly will include some form filling and review of the course as well as looking at Daniel Dennett on Evolution and Scientific perspective we will consider Thomas Nagel ( one of whose books was instrumental in the structure of a previous City Lit philosophy class I took) on 'How it feels to be a bat' sounds intriguing doesn't it?


No comments: