Wednesday, December 16, 2015

New Year, New Courses along with Volunteering and Red 321

So 2016 is around the corner and I suppose that for many it'll be a time for resolutions to focus on aspects of our lives that we think need it -for me I think realistically I'll just revisit what I've tried to do over the last few years (that's quite enough of a challenge).


Study

City Lit  2016 will be a New year with New courses

For  about the last 3 years I've been enjoying City Lit courses, they offer  a great mixture of practical and intellectual stimulation.

Yesterday I was in town and picked up a prospectus for 2016 (January to March) - it's full of temptation!


The courses I've found of value have been particularly around the area of Philosophy, and I'm really hoping to take the 10 weeks  Philosophy and Psychoanalysis course at Keane Street


Volunteering


I've volunteered in a few different ways over the last 20 years and I reckon it's good for me (and hopefully others).

There was a BBC radio programme (Volunteer Nation)  yesterday evening about volunteering (and in a sort of guilt by association way the Third Sector) , generally the editorial line was  pro', although the presenter was the Bank of England Chief Economist Andy Haldane (he's someone who volunteers himself)  he provided a balance and mentioned  plenty of  the indications of benefits that are beyond the monetary ones.

A (very) contrary position  though was expressed  by NZ philosopher/politician Jamie Whyte - I think his was undoubtedly a distinctive perspective but it was surprisingly closest to  in tone to contributions  from a trade unionist who was (understandably)  concerned  that volunteers marginalised some paid workers.

I was puzzled by this as there seemed a rather artificial divide being made between community and engagement in helping others- seems a real shame that people who want to and are able to do 'something' that it can be met so grudgingly.

That's not to say there aren't dangers in mandating the unemployed to 'help' unwillingly or that employers should be brow beaten into 'joining up' but the idea of making any sort of 'volunteering' a state sanctioned activity feels like a load of old B** cks.

Red 321

back to some nice fresh Reds.


No comments: