Wednesday, April 27, 2016

More at The Guildhall Art Gallery and Red 188

I was much taken with Brian Eno's theory that what makes major figures memorable (like a 'Picasso' or a 'Warhol') is complex and there are often figures of similar talent working in the same oeuvre who become mere footnotes as the history of the various movements are written.
Clytemnestra by John Collier

At The Guildhall Arts Gallery I saw a number of works on show some by  artists I was familiar with like Peter Blake and Canaletto but also Waggoner's  The Great  Fire of London and The Thames by Moonlight with Southwark bridge (1884) by the artist John Atkinson Grimshaw - his career included work as a railway clerk).

Having looked at the picture it was Whistler who sprang to mind and I was interested to read that for a time Grimshaw worked in a studio near Whistler in Chelsea and that the two had met .

Many of the works (or the artists) on display have links with the City of London but the work certainly that I think was my favourite on show is Clytemnestra by John Collier and the links here are tangential.

Clytemnestra was a figure in Ancient Greece and her image and story are often recounted. In the painting  the signs of a bloody murder are strong - reading about Collier he seems somewhat underrated - I like too what I read of his own personal philosophy.

Of the more modern works I was much taken with Broadgate Reflections by Brendan Neiland., Neiland is somewhat unusual in his use of Spray gun to achieve the brushless results.

Red 188


Probably my most favourite 13A UK plug of all time (it's red)

Plug in and power on



No comments: