Sunday, April 02, 2017

Leighton House (92)


On Friday after 'Welcoming' at the Design Museum and partly triggered by the strong recommendation of a visitor there who I know from CityLit Exhibiting course  I went to Leighton House to have a look at his painting known as  'Flaming June' (and others).
At the side of the house

The pictures in the exhibition were most of those that he showed at the RA in the year up to his death and getting them together was quite an impressive feat.

What I really liked though (And I'm not alone in this) was the ambience and delight of the house - the Arabic influenced hall, the spacious studio along with the attractive gardens gave me (unusually) a real house envy.

Frederick Leighton seemed to have been an odd cove but he had a lovely house and produced some great works that are associated with the Pre-Raphaelite school.


A Splendid place to live

The guide in B/W



















A Statue in the garden

Quite literally lord for a day 
















Well £120 shouldn't surprise 











Doors




Look before you  leap (or cross anyway)






I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to plan actively - Higher Numbers need longer streets and roads.










No 92 is a step or two back from the shops in Holland Park Avenue 


No comments: