Sunday, December 24, 2017

Anish Kapoor (Almost an) original

Early this morning I watched a rather excellent BBC 'Imagine ' TV documentary about Anish Kapoor's RA exhibition in 2009.



I've seen work by (Sir) Anish Kapoor on more than one occasion but not fully engaged with what he's done and what he wants us to see -I'd been struck by his use of colour and the size of his work at the Olympic Park in East London.




This reminded me of his bold use of colour (he's even got his own colour Vantablack).





Kapoor's Teacher Paul Neagu


I hadn't really worked out what Kapoor was (he's a sculptor) but (oh the joys of the internet)  I see that although he's doing something different he does have influences - like principally his late  teacher the Romanian artist Paul Neagu as well as Kapoor Paul was teacher at Hornsey Art College  to Antony Gormley, Tony Cragg, and Rachel Whiteread.

The other thing I like about the work shown including those in Brighton Festival  and the monumental Cloudgate   in Chicago was his use of reflection.

No comments: